December 03, 2005

Good-for-you pie

After a crazy week I have finally had the time to do something about the flat. We had dirty laundry everywhere, old newspapers lying around, dust crawling on the floor and nothing nothing nothing done on the Christmas front. Now we have a glowing, neat and lovely home again. Complete with a star in the bedroom window and the electric candleholder in the kitchen!

I also had time to cook, which was very nice. Nothing´s like a clean kitchen with lots of groceries in the cabinets and fridge. Aaah! For dinner we had this very tasty pie, made with some brussels sprouts I had on hand, carrots and bacon and some more things. For a savoury pie I prefer a crust with less fat and more taste.

Clivia´s good-for-you pie
Serves 4-6

2/3 cup or 1.5 dl all-purpose flour
2/3 cups wholemeal wheat flour (grahamsmjöl)
75 grams butter
a little less than 1/3 cups or 3/4 dl cottage or curd cheese (kesella)

Chop this toghether to a dough, by hand or in food processor. Put in a pie form (you don´t have to grease it) and put in the fridge for 10 minutes. Then bake it in the oven for 10 minutes in 200C/400F.

Then take what root vegetables you have on hand and chop and slice them in bitesize pieces. I used 15-20 brussels sprouts, two small carrots and half a leek. I didn´t boil the brussels which I should have because they came out a bit too chewy... I also fried some bacon, that is of course optional but hey, it is saturday! Put everything in the crust, mix it around, salt and pepper... Then grate some cheese and sprinkle over.

Whip up 3 eggs and 1 cup (2 dl) milk, I had a large pie form so I doubled the batch today. Pour over the veggies and bacon and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes. It should have a nice colour and not be runny in the middle. Serve with Estonian beer (optional) and a salad.

2 comments:

artkiddo said...

hi clivia,this pie looks amazingly delicious! and it looks really easy to prepare! i shall try it one of these days soon!

Clivia said...

thank you Cass! Hope your pie-maiking will be successful. As I said, use your favourite veggies and if you can´t find wholemeal wheat just use plain flour!

Haven´t got to try the things from your BBM package yet, it has been some busy weeks! But soon I have three weeks Christmas leave and all the time in the world. Stay tuned!