December 30, 2005

Wild chicken and beetroot cake

I have folkdancing as one of my hobbies and yesterday we had our annual dinner with some dance friends. One of the friends live in the same building as me and A and she and I had a lovely time yesterday planning, shopping and cooking with the snowstorm howling outside. We chose a favourite - wild chicken casserole- as main course and for dessert we whipped up a new and exciting variety of the common carrot cake with cream cheese. The recipe is from a new cookbook, Två systrars söta (Two sister´s sweet), and the authors, Lisen and Monica Eisenman, are two American-Swedish sisters who run the Cookbook Café in Stockholm. This cake is heaven, and it is beatiful with the beetroots inside and the thick shiny glaze. Our guests really liked both the chicken and the cake, even the youngest (aged 2) cleaned her plate and asked for more! I can really recommend the chicken, it is very easy to pull together and the taste is great. The sauce gets a little runny though so you can thicken it if you want to.

Wild chicken
Serves 4
4 chicken breasts, skinless
oil
100 ml concentrated blackcurrant syrup (saft)
200 ml chicken stock
200 ml creme fraiche (I use the light bot not the very light)
10 crushed dry juniper berries
2 tbsp chinese soy
a pinch of dried thyme

Cut the chicken in smaller pieces and fry them in as little oil as possible until they have a nice colour.
Mix syrup, chicken stock, creme fraiche, juniper, soy and thyme in a skillet. Bring to a boil.
Add the chicken and let simmer on low heat for about ten minutes on low heat, with a lid on.
Garnish with thyme and blackcurrants and serve with potatoes and steamed vegetables, for example carrots or cauliflower

Beetroot cake with saffron glaze
400 ml plain flour
350 ml caster sugar
a pinch of salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
150 ml canola (raps) or sunflower oil
3 eggs
300 ml grated beetroots
300 ml roughly chopped walnuts

oil or butter and breadcrumbs for the baking form (use one with releasable sides)

1 gram of saffron, crushed in a mortlar with a little pinch of sugar
200 g cream cheese
200-300 ml powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla sugar

Peel and grate 2-3 beetroots. Prepare the baking form. Mix the dry ingredients for the cake in a large bowl and stir in oil and eggs. Add the beetroots and walnuts. Pour it in the baking form and bake for 45 minutes in 175C/347F, it should be dry inside. Let it cool on a rack, covered with the form.

Mix the ingredients for the glaze, easiest with a handheld mixer. Spread it over the cake and serve. Next time I will try and garnish the cake with grated beetroot...

3 comments:

Pille said...

Hi Kristina - I really like the sound of that "wild" chicken - I saw a similar recipe at Arlaköket a while ago, but haven't tried it yet. I will now.
And beetroot cake sounds interesting, too - I will check out your recipe again, when I fancy a change from carrot cake!
Head vana-aasta lõppu!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Beetroot cake! Now I understand that this is what you were talking about... Looks delicious!

Anyways, thanks for the movie and the veggie tour. I really appreciated it. I hope I didn't annoy you too much by asking you too many questions... For me, it was very informative and instructive. I enjoyed it very much.

I will cook these veggies tomorrow night for my friend who's arriving tomorrow. And I can't wait for tasting the kaviar and butter thing tomorrow morning with the bread! ;-)

Well, but now maybe I should go sleep... Stayed up too late, replying to emails and stuff... Good night!

Clivia said...

Thank you, I enjoyed it very much too. And don´t hesitate to ask me questions, I love answering questions about food and had a grand time in that Coop (for the first time, usually it is just stressful in there!) Good luck with the soup! Keep me posted on how you liked the kaviar and messmör.