October 21, 2006

Birthday cake

I had lunch with Anne the other day, who told me that you are supposed to make a blog birthday cake - which I didn´t have time for on the big day. Well, as luck would have it we have a lot of birthdays in the family this week - my father-in-law yesterday and A and his twin sister on Wednesday. This evening we had a little joint birthday celebration for all three of them, and A and I brought a cake. So it is not made for my blog, but tomorrow I will eat a piece in honour of it anyway! Isn´t that too convenient, getting a blog cake just like that, whithout planning?

The base is one of my favourite recipes - a gateau au yaourt I picked up at Chocolate and Zucchini a year ago and have made many times since. It is so perfect, I almost never make any ordinary sponge cakes any more because this is much easier, you just stir everything together in five minutes and shove it in the oven. The cake comes out moist, a little fluffy and very tasty. I usually make it with a wheat flour mixed with wholewheat.

I baked it yesterday evening, cut it in three layers and put it out on the balcony. This morning I left to go to Uppsala for the day meeting friends and when I came back the cake looked like this. I have said before that my A is outstanding in food decoration and this cake is yet another proof. The filling is, quite simply, mashed banana and vanilla custard. Then he has put on whipping cream and decorated with fruit and berries, and topped it off with a clear jelly made of gelatine mixed with some apple juice for flavour. The jelly is optional but gives the fruit a nice, shiny finish. The green leaves are mint which was what we had on hand. And the cake was just as delicious as it looks. "This cake is so good I cannot speak", his mother said!

Thank you for all nice comments, I promise I will continue doing my best on this blog!

8 comments:

Anne said...

Oooh, that's lovely! Very pretty! :)

Ilva said...

I missed the real birthday but here it goes: Happy Birthday and keep up the great work that you are doing!

Liaisons said...

Ahh, it looks just great!
Yummie :-)

Anna

Pille said...

Looks lovely indeed!

KrakelSpektakel said...

Ser, apgod ut!

Anonymous said...

Those cake looks divine with all those berries on top! I bet each mouthful is so full of sweetness and flavor. Yum.


Ari (Baking and Books)

Rachael Narins said...

Happy Blog Birthday!

Orchidea said...

Happy birthday! Very nice cake!
Ciao.