November 28, 2006

Fish with orange, chili and saffron

Today´s Swedish word: apelsin. Means orange.

Oh dear, what a lousy picture! But I can assure you that this is the best I have cooked in weeks (now, I haven´t cooked very much but you get the picture). Yum, yum, yum.

The November weather this year is extremely warm, and very gloomy. It is dark when I get up and it is dark when I leave work, and it makes me soooo tired. So I thought, "I want to cook something sunny, something fresh and healthy, something that makes me happy. And I want to eat more fish! More fish to the people!"

This is what my thoughts led to, and a very gloomy Monday evening suddenly felt at least a tad sunny! The taste from the orange and saffron blended perfectly with the fish, and in the background a nice little heat from the chilli.

Sunny fish casserole
Serves 4-6

500 grams fish, I used coalfish (sej) but salmon would be nice too, in large chunks
1 yellow or schalott onion, finely sliced. A clove of garlic maybe? (I cannot use it when A eats)
1 carrot, sliced thinly lengthways
1 fresh red chilli, finely sliced
1 packet of crushed tomato
1 orange, preferrably organic since you will use the peel as well
a tiny pinch of saffron
salt and pepper

Fry the onions in a little oil until soft and shiny. Then add in the carrot and chilli and cook for just a minute. Add the tomato and the zest from half the orange, season with salt and pepper and let it simmer for a couple of minutes. Squeeze half the orange and add the juice to the tomato. Stir in just a tiny pinch of saffron, you don´t want it to be overwhelming! Stir in the fish and let everything simmer for a couple of minutes until the fish is cooked. Spice to taste with salt and pepper if needed and maybe a little more orange juice. Serve with rice and the remaining orange.

3 comments:

Steve said...

Looks good. As we don't have coalfish, I'll find a suitable substitute. Ling cod would work.

Anonymous said...

How very smart you are Clivia! Sunshine on the plate if not in the sky!!

KrakelSpektakel said...

Voilá lördagens fiskrecept är hittat!